Project contributes to the strengthening of rule of law and environmental protection in Serbia and Montenegro, through improvement of preventive mechanisms (environmental impact assessment, inspections), law enforcement and promotion of available legal tools which are guarantee right to healthy and safeguarded environment, rights to access to information, public participation and access to justice.
RERI will continue to utilize strategic litigation and monitoring of procedures conducted by relevant public authorities in order to:
- enhance law enforcement related to environmental protection;
- support partners CSOs from Montenegro in exercising their legal rights;
- foster good governance and increase transparency and accountability of public authorities; and
- enable enjoyment of human and citizens’ rights related to environment.
Specific focus of RERI’s activities will be on the following issues:
- monitoring of activities, plans and projects with potential adverse environmental and health effects related to industry, thermal power plants, mining industry and utilisation of renewable energy sources;
- monitoring of public plans and projects related to urban and spatial planning, wastewater management and nature protection;
- application of environmental impact assessment procedures; and
- administrative procedures and strategic environmental litigation.
This project will be realized from 1 March – 31 October 2022, supported by the “Heinrich Böll Stiftung“ foundation.