The project is directed towards advocating for adoption of key environmental strategic documents and legislative improvements, based on wide public participation, effective monitoring of policy development and implementation and strengthening the preventive mechanisms through environmental impact assessment (EIA), strategic environmental impact assessment (SEA) and monitoring of polluters activities and their alignment with legal obligations.
The project will strengthen the capacities of citizens, grassroots and CSOs for participation in decision making processes related to environmental protection, by fostering open and inclusive participatory policy making processes. It will also increase accountability of public administration in environmental preventive mechanisms transposed through the EU integration process in Serbian legislative and public policy system.
Overall Objective: To streamline the transformative power of EU integration process and the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans into environment and climate change reforms in Serbia
- Consultations on the development of key strategic and legislative documents environmental protection and climate change area;
- Advocacy and communication campaigning for transparent and participative policy development processes;
- Screening effectiveness of CSO’s impact in participative mechanisms;
- Developing and implementing innovative tools for increased citizen participation based on learning-by-doing approach that cultivates cooperation and trust between the government and civil society;
- Scrutinizing the accountability of public authorities and companies related to the plans and projects with high potential negative environmental impacts;
- Developing EIA and SEA case law database;
The project is implemented from January 2022 to December 2023 with the support of the European Union.