Through this project RERI aims to contribute to strengthening the rule of law in climate and energy policy in Serbia in accordance with EU and international commitments.
- To establish independent monitoring over implementation of climate mitigation measures related to strategic and planning documents, power sector and energy intensive industry and alignment with provisions and objectives of the Paris Agreement and the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans;
- To strengthen enforcement and supervising mechanisms related to development and implementation of plans and projects with potential adverse climate and environmental effects.
RERI will work on achieving these objectives through:
- Legal analyses of foreign investments overall impact on rule of law and capacities of the Republic of Serbia to comply with the EU and UN environmental and climate standards and objectives;
- Monitoring of the alignment of planning (national, regional and local spatial plans), policy and strategic documents with the requirements of the Paris Agreement and the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans (pillars: decarbonisation and depollution);
- Legal cases and strategic litigation in cases where breaching of climate and environmental legislation occurs.
This project will be realized from June 2022 to May 2023, supported by the European Climate Foundation.