The objective of the project is to advance the energy transition in Serbia and a transition towards clean energy systems in the Western Balkan region with significantly reduced environmental impact, including impacts on health, climate and biodiversity and to strengthen environmental democracy in Serbia with increased civil society participation in permit proceedings and other environmental procedures.
- Why? Application of adopted environmental standards and law enforcement is on unsatisfied level. Constant progress in transposition of EU environmental acquis and standards is not followed by increased capacities of administration and judicial institutions which should be able to provide proper access to justice in case where rights to health and a quality environment, as well as to good governance, are endangered.
- How? Renewables and Environmental Regulatory Institute aims to: 1. Advance the energy transition in Serbia and further the managed closure of coal power plants; 2. Advocate for a transition towards clean energy systems in the Western Balkan region with significantly reduced environmental impact; 3. Expose poor compliance with EU air pollution and industrial emission laws and regulations; 4. Create a broader culture of accountability and to strengthen environmental democracy in Serbia with increased civil society participation in permit proceedings and other environmental procedures; 5. Reinforce the impact of legal practitioners and judicial institutions to the application of environmental protection standards.
- Target groups? Civil society activists and community based groups; legal practitioners; experts and professional associations in the field of environment.
- Monitor and participate in permit proceedings for coal activities, such as large lignite combustion plants and mines;
- Initiate proceedings against the responsible Serbian authorities for not enforcing the Serbian National Emission Reduction Plan;
The project is being realized from 1 September 2019 to 31 December 2023 in cooperation with Client Earth within the ClientEarth’s Energy Programme.